Active Duty Military Accounts are Free

Membership is $40.00 Per Year (USD) for Full Access

Please make sure that your payment is in USD or the proper conversion from your currency

Payments not made in this way will be returned.

Email me at jim@hre.com if you have questions

ALL NEW USERS START HERE! Messages and information about the board- Guests do not see ALL the forums! Register and JOIN for full access to rock solid information.

Re: New meber

Postby Mike Tavey » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 pm

I think that im going to use the small motor first a 500ci. So if I blow it up it wont brake the bank. lol The clutch I've been running for a while! I'm not an expert but I hold my owen! I've ran this package for two years now minus the turbo motor! We have had good luck with the bottle! I just dont want to build a 1034ci motor to be competitive! I personally think the turbo stuff is going to take over! lol
Mike Tavey

Postby Paul New » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Mike Tavey wrote:Hi fellow mebers, I live in Salt Lake city UT! The car is 105" wheel base and it has a four speed lenco with a three disc clutch!

Mike

Ok curious you live in Salt Lake friends with a Top Fuel team, pretty sure you need to remove that 4 speed Lenco from that Pro-mod and install 3 speed B&J......
Paul New

6.47 at 214 mph 387" SBC 10-71 alky
Paul New
Pretends to be a Good Boy, but Isn't

Postby Uncle Paul » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:27 am

Paul, we run with the NEOPMA and I can tell you that the majority of nitrous cars are running a clutch with a Lenco, the blower cars are split between a Bruno (converter drive) with a Lenco and the majority of turbo cars are running a Rossler Th210 ProMod trannys (a bad ass turbo 400).
I don't think I have ever seen a B & J tranny in the pits. Not that they aren't good but it being there are always plenty of Lencos around someone has spare parts and a gear set. Seems our group likes to eat reversers for breakfast!

Mike I think your going to find less is more with a turbo motor. We run a BBC, started with a 632, dropped down to a 565 and now down to a 521 and IMO think motor makes as much Hp and all around is easier to tune and make happy. I do know NHRA, NEOPMA, NMCA all have cube limts of I think 525 with 88mm turbos. This year NHRA put a 43 psi boost limit on the turbo cars so that why you have seen them slow down.

As far as a clutch vs a converter, well to spool a turbo you need exhaust heat, with a clutch there is no engine load which equals almost no exhaust heat. That means you had to put it on the chip and pulling timing out, with a converter you have engine load so you already make heat and need to pull a whole lot less timing to make it spool.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying you can not do all that, hell Buddy Ingersol did it in Pro Stcok what 27 yeas ago?
Uncle Paul

Postby Paul New » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:51 am

Uncle Paul wrote:Paul, we run with the NEOPMA and I can tell you that the majority of nitrous cars are running a clutch with a Lenco, the blower cars are split between a Bruno (converter drive) with a Lenco and the majority of turbo cars are running a Rossler Th210 ProMod trannys (a bad ass turbo 400).
I don't think I have ever seen a B & J tranny in the pits. Not that they aren't good but it being there are always plenty of Lencos around someone has spare parts and a gear set. Seems our group likes to eat reversers for breakfast!

Paul, I was kind of being a smart ass assuming that Mike is friends with Jeff and Mike Strasburg (probably spelt last name wrong) they run a Top fuel car and own B&J there shop is on the outskirts of Salt Lake. Went there a couple of times when I was working in Pocatello Idaho great guys!
Paul New

6.47 at 214 mph 387" SBC 10-71 alky
Paul New
Pretends to be a Good Boy, but Isn't

Previous
Forum Statistics