Active Duty Military Accounts are Free

Membership is $40.00 Per Year (USD) for Full Access

Please make sure that your payment is in USD or the proper conversion from your currency

Payments not made in this way will be returned.

Email me at jim@hre.com if you have questions

ALL NEW USERS START HERE! Messages and information about the board- Guests do not see ALL the forums! Register and JOIN for full access to rock solid information.

New guy

Postby Paul_VR6 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:55 pm

I have to say I am impressed by the welcome already!

Just a quick intro, have been racing on and off for the better part of 15 years. My specialty is VW's narrow angle six, the VR6, hence the screen name. I have built engines, blown them up, put them back together, buried them in the yard and graduated years ago for doing things for others more than for myself. Finally taking the time to put my own race car back together with a new motor with the goal of 500whp out of the little 3.6 "naturally" aspirated. Not many people playing with these engines, so I am happily on my own. Have a bunch of parts already made to get it running on the stock block and head and see what I can make like that before I build a dedicated race engine. Cylinder heads in these are interesting with staggered ports and roller rocker arms using dual over head cams.

In my "spare" time I have been very involved with EFI tuning from factory systems to standalone. I have tuned nearly everything but have been involved with Megasquirt and its community since 2002 and have been a reseller for a long, long time. Luckily my electronics background helps in that matter. For day work I do engineering, product development, and a bunch of other non automotive things.

Got interested in Nitro from a buddy's dad who used to run an top alcohol car in the early 70s. Asked me if I ever tuned Nitro and I was sad to answer with a NO. Searching the internet led me here. So it's time to play. Sizing the initial fuel system for 1000hp on methanol so I should be able to run some blends without issue. At least, I think so.

Anyway, thanks in advance and I will spend some time shutting up and reading.
-Paul
1992 Corrado Drag Project
KPTuned.com - Megasquirt Sales, Installation, Tuning, Service
Paul_VR6

Re: New guy

Postby cad500justin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:20 am

Welcome aboard! We love odd motors on nitro here. I know I do.
Just remember that nitro is a powerful solvent-it can dissolve bank accounts and marriages in no time.
cad500justin
March Meet 2013 Champion Crew

Postby bill jones » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:27 pm

-here's a link to a stack injection VR6 project I did some years ago---but the project died before it ever got used.

-original plan was to run it in the pickup truck at Bonneville on gas so there is some basic ideas for the set-up for gas.

-might be of interest to the new Paul.

http://ryanbrownracing.com/Bill_Jones_Page_26.html
bill jones

Postby raceman61 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:17 pm

welcome
lot's of good info and good people here
real racer's drives straight to the finish line...the other guy's just drive around in circles lookin for it
raceman61
Actually Knows Blondes Named Inga

Postby Paul_VR6 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:48 pm

bill jones wrote:-here's a link to a stack injection VR6 project I did some years ago---but the project died before it ever got used.

-original plan was to run it in the pickup truck at Bonneville on gas so there is some basic ideas for the set-up for gas.

-might be of interest to the new Paul.

http://ryanbrownracing.com/Bill_Jones_Page_26.html

Very interesting project. I had a similar set of throttles from overseas years ago that made good power. 48mm plates on EFI. Going to custom make ones for the new motor, which will be a challenge.

The pickup the same one that set the '12 small displacement gas pickup record?
-Paul
Paul_VR6

Postby admin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:34 pm

You and Uncle Paul (Francia) have a lot to talk about... He'll chime in here shortly...
This space for rent.
admin
Conspiracy Theory

Postby Paul_VR6 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:20 pm

Looking forward to it. Loving the archives.. feel like it will take me a lifetime or two to digest it all!
-Paul
Paul_VR6

Postby admin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:57 pm

There is a lot here and there. Enjoy.
This space for rent.
admin
Conspiracy Theory

Postby pdog » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:34 pm

Yo New Guy Paul,,,

I’ve been pondering over your build so I have a question.

What do you plan to do with this car your building?
I know you’ve mentioned “race” in your introductory post (THANQUE) but I didn’t see any mention of what kind of race?
If it’s street race have fun, be safe and note that we at HRE do not do “bail”

Now going through my Wally Rule book I fail to find any class that you could possibly be legal to compete in once you add 1% or more of the yellow pearl.
Being a (recreational0 chassis builder I’m up to my ringpiece in Wallys rules is why I even questioned any of what you are doing.

If you have “an in” with a local track operator who will allow you to make a plethora of “time only” runs that’s great!
If not you very well may be very hard pressed to find anyone who will allow you to do any laps at all :cry:

Personally I really enjoy “odd builds” such as yours so I am very interested in following along with your project and THANQUE for sharing 8-)

Cheers,,,
Yappy~
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

I ❤ FLATHEADS

I ❤ 4 BANGERS

WNC
pdog
The ORIGINAL Original Stone Age Man

Postby Paul_VR6 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 pm

I guess I didn't explain it because I thought it was obvious, guess not! Building the car for drag racing, and as my fabricator points out, the drive wheels are on the wrong end! I used to run with the NHRA when they did imports and I had the quickest VW running Street Stock (still slow!), which was a no motor swaps all motor class. I got beat by a lot of Hondas but I had a good time. Got close to a Wally once bracket racing with that same series, would have been nice but at least my buddy took home the win that day when I got tree'd bad in the semis.. but I digress.

The car is legal to run in some local east coast and national import events depending on prep, fuel used, etc. One just started allowing M5 and the other has NO fuel rules at all that I want to exploit a little bit. I think on "regular" fuel the car would be legal for NHRA SS/AX or SS/BX depending on the weight of the car when it's done. No fun running pure methanol though, and not sure how close I can get to the index being FWD.

Luckily for testing I live pretty close to the local track (Cecil County Dragway) and there's open Test&Tunes that have good prep and not crazy big turnout. I'm within driving distance of quite a few more as well to get some variety if I need to as well.

So I think I have it all straight, hopefully that makes things a bit more clear. Thanks for asking.
-Paul
Paul_VR6

Next
Forum Statistics