Active Duty Military Accounts are Free

Membership is $40.00 Per Year (USD) for Full Access

Please make sure that your payment is in USD or the proper conversion from your currency

Payments not made in this way will be returned.

Email me at jim@hre.com if you have questions

ALL NEW USERS START HERE! Messages and information about the board- Guests do not see ALL the forums! Register and JOIN for full access to rock solid information.

New/Returning Member

Postby brad5557 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:53 am

Hello all.

My name is Brad Morgan and I live in Montana. I was a member here for a while a few years back. I have a '57 Chevy Sedan Delivery with a Hilborn injected 427. I have recently fired the motor and got it running, but still have tons to learn about how to make this thing run like it should. I know very little about fuel injection, but you gotta start somewhere, right? I plan to buy the Fuel Injection Basics book and learn some more from reading all the great posts here. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting some more great advice from the members here as well.

Thanks,
Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brad5557

Re: New/Returning Member

Postby uglytruck » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:01 am

Welcome back Brad! You won't go wrong with Jim's book. Have you had your pump flowed?
Clay Allen

Clay's Transmissions
High Performance Transmissions and Parts

Simul Iustus et Peccator
uglytruck
Sky King

Postby brad5557 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:03 am

Hi Clay.

Thanks for the reply. I have not had my pump flowed. My hole system came from Hilborn and the paperwork says it has been flow tested and ready to install. The interesting part of that is the injector was purchased new from Hilborn in 1977 by my uncle, Gordon Erickson. I have inherited the car from my uncle. In all this time, the car has never been completed. I have a 1st place trophy from the "unfinished" class of a car show in 1983, and the car still isn't finished. But, I am finally making progress and hope to have the car drivable this summer. The engine has only run a handful of times in all these years. I have most of the original paperwork from Hilborn. I have included a pic of one page showing some of the set up.

So, what information do I get from having the pump flowed and do I still need to do this with this set-up?

I was planning on getting "the book" and trying to learn a bit more before I started asking questions here. I do have the injector set up good enough to start and idle, but it seems to be running pretty rich and pops back through the injector a bit when revved up. I have adjusted the idle mixture a bit, but think I need to maybe lean it out a bit more there. It does have the 110 pill in the bypass. I assume I may need to lean it out here as well. Does the bypass fuel effect idle at all, or just higher rpm? The car was set up for or in South Dakota, and I am about 1600 feet higher elevation here. I have ordered some more pills, but I'm not sure how much or little of a change to make. Like I said, I'm trying to learn this as I go and I'm sure once I get the book that will help. I do appreciate any feed back that might be helpful in the mean time.

Thanks, Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brad5557

Postby brad5557 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:05 am

Sorry. I had rotated the pic prior to upload, but I guess it didn't stay that way for some reason...
brad5557

Postby Eric David Bru » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:12 am

brad5557 wrote:Sorry. I had rotated the pic prior to upload, but I guess it didn't stay that way for some reason...

When you click on it it to see it full size it shows up correctly.
Eric 8-)
The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
Eric David Bru
March Meet 2013 Champion Crew

Postby cad500justin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:47 am

Welcome back!
I'd start by leak down testing all your poppets and starting a new thread in the fuel injection section.
cad500justin

Postby uglytruck » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:09 am

brad5557 wrote:Hi Clay.

Thanks for the reply. I have not had my pump flowed. My hole system came from Hilborn and the paperwork says it has been flow tested and ready to install. The interesting part of that is the injector was purchased new from Hilborn in 1977 by my uncle, Gordon Erickson. I have inherited the car from my uncle. In all this time, the car has never been completed. I have a 1st place trophy from the "unfinished" class of a car show in 1983, and the car still isn't finished. But, I am finally making progress and hope to have the car drivable this summer. The engine has only run a handful of times in all these years. I have most of the original paperwork from Hilborn. I have included a pic of one page showing some of the set up.

So, what information do I get from having the pump flowed and do I still need to do this with this set-up?

I was planning on getting "the book" and trying to learn a bit more before I started asking questions here. I do have the injector set up good enough to start and idle, but it seems to be running pretty rich and pops back through the injector a bit when revved up. I have adjusted the idle mixture a bit, but think I need to maybe lean it out a bit more there. It does have the 110 pill in the bypass. I assume I may need to lean it out here as well. Does the bypass fuel effect idle at all, or just higher rpm? The car was set up for or in South Dakota, and I am about 1600 feet higher elevation here. I have ordered some more pills, but I'm not sure how much or little of a change to make. Like I said, I'm trying to learn this as I go and I'm sure once I get the book that will help. I do appreciate any feed back that might be helpful in the mean time.

Thanks, Brad

Flowing the pump is the central key information you'll need to calculate the tune-up. Pump flow is fairly linear and relative to engine rpm. Jim's book has all the math you'll need to get the job done. In the "Formulas" section there is a spreadsheet named FKal that puts the math in an easy to use format that will get you in the ball park. But as Justin mentioned, testing the poppet valves would be a great place to start. I would add that cleaning the nozzles would be good. If there is a fuel filter I would look at that too. After 40 years and only being run a few times the system may have suffered a little corrosion.
Clay Allen

Clay's Transmissions
High Performance Transmissions and Parts

Simul Iustus et Peccator
uglytruck
Sky King

Postby Eric David Bru » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:27 pm

brad5557 wrote:
...I am finally making progress and hope to have the car drivable this summer.

I do have the injector set up good enough to start and idle, but it seems to be running pretty rich and pops back through the injector a bit when revved up.

Thanks, Brad

Is this a street driven car?

Running gasoline?

8A/S nozzles are .0225"
Eric 8-)
The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
Eric David Bru

Forum Statistics