Active Duty Military Accounts are Free

Membership is $40.00 Per Year (USD) for Full Access

Please make sure that your payment is in USD or the proper conversion from your currency

Payments not made in this way will be returned.

Email me at jim@hre.com if you have questions

ALL NEW USERS START HERE! Messages and information about the board- Guests do not see ALL the forums! Register and JOIN for full access to rock solid information.

Postby RagingRoman » Tue May 03, 2016 2:07 pm

Evening all (well it is here in the UK),

Just a quick introduction. My name's Shaun, and i have an alcohol addiction :D (but burning not consuming!)

Anyway me and my old man have built a car that we race here in England, home of only 3 tracks of which 2 are rather sketchy. We wanted to build something a bit different to the norm. I am quite into my old VW's, don't hold it against me, but the usual aircooled turbo and carb setup just wasn't for us. Now bare with me here because this is from my experience, where most of the 'Pro rcaers' lose interest. We run a built Subaru motor, should be for 50-60psi, with a blower i bought off a Top Fuel harley racer in Norway. It was his spare and when i asked out of interest what blower they use (given that we are a similar displacement) he ended up selling my and we had a nice 2 day trip into Norway to collect it. We run the motor on methanol on mechanical injection. Little 100mm 'flying toilet' throttle body in the back window and the pump is driven off the back of a gearbox we machined to drive the MSD distributor. Theres no place for a dizzy on a subaru as they are all efi so we have a 90 belt driven gearbox off the crank with the pump bolted on the back, works a treat. 4 spd manual transmission, twin plate 240mm ceramic clutch setup. Just over this last winter upgraded the ignition from the 6AL to the power grid.

Me and my old man work for ourselves manufacturing stainless steel food processing equipment that goes all over the planet, but this sets us up with most the kit you need to build a half decent drag car. Neither of us had had much to do with racing before. Both always been big drag fans and going to all the major event in the UK for years. Even planned a business trip to correspond with the CHHR in 2012 which was an eye-opener. The sheer quantity and quality of the cars compared to Europe is unreal. So we do all our own fabrication and machining and thought we would have a go. 2nd season in with our current setup and not going brilliantly. Fuel is nice and rich, never been past 30 degrees on the timing, making 26psi manifold pressure. We have not had chance to even begin tuning the car. We are learning the hard way that doing something different you HAVE to learn the hard way. All we have had for 2 years is driveline issues. Lost track of the amount of drive-shafts, CV joints and stub axles ive added to the scrap bin. Rear end is a custom IRS setup we made when the car was meant to be a weekend toy, but has ended up a full blown racecar. So our current PB, this is where a lot of you could lose interest, is a shocking 10.3 @127. Its the ONLY end to end run we have had. In the UK there are only 7 event a year i can race at and for the past 2 years ive missed most event waiting for new parts. So we havnt really even begun racing yet. Im hoping for low 9's once we get sorted and hopefully down the line with a lot of work would love to run into the high 8's.

So as slow and as un-ambitious this may seem to the 'big boys' we call the other race teams, me and my dad are looking forward to seeing what we can get out the car. Dont forget we are only 2100cc :lol:

Few pics of the car and hope you can appreciate what we are trying to do. Thanks for reading!

RagingRoman

Re: Newbie

Postby Paul_VR6 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:52 pm

At least the drive wheels are at the proper end!

Very nice looking fabrication for the distro and blower drive for sure. It has to be hard over there with the lack of test and tune you guys get, and I'm sure it's not the easiest thing to dyno either..

Quite interested in how you make out with it.. if you ever want to do EFI, there's (still) a forum for that. 8-)
-Paul
1992 Corrado Drag Project
KPTuned.com - Megasquirt Sales, Installation, Tuning, Service
Paul_VR6

Postby trailer » Tue May 03, 2016 3:04 pm

Nice workmanship, I love it. In my business we work with a manufacturer of stainless conveyor systems for the bottling of wine. I love it when I am there to watch them test a section. Again beautiful work. Trailer
trailer

Postby Paul New » Tue May 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Fabrication work is very nice! Building something out of the normal is cool, most anyone who builds a Subaru would have turbo's and EFI so I must say great job and good luck with the tuning it will come. When I started here I was an 8.60 gasoline with carbs and now I have ventured into the blown alky realms with minimal failures based on tune up issues..... :twisted:
Paul New

6.47 at 214 mph 387" SBC 10-71 alky
Paul New
Pretends to be a Good Boy, but Isn't

Postby RagingRoman » Tue May 03, 2016 3:40 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah over here as i we were building the car i had so mad people actually telling me, not advising, telling me i had to use EFI. So many people thought we couldn't get it to work so its worth it just for to prove them wrong. Not going to break any records but we are having fun. Dyno'in the car is proving quite tricky too. Only found 1 shop willing to let a methanol car on the dyno and we had a smaller blower pulley at the time. Made 44 psi and on the first pull it stripped all the teeth of the belt. Made 450 at the wheels at 3800rpm and that was so rich im suprised it ran. 66 jets in all round, all we had at the time. only running 44's now and thats still on the rich side just to be safe.

Were not going to be looking for every last hp, just decent power that will get us through a season. one tear down a year is enough for us :D
RagingRoman

Postby RagingRoman » Tue May 03, 2016 3:42 pm

trailer wrote:Nice workmanship, I love it. In my business we work with a manufacturer of stainless conveyor systems for the bottling of wine. I love it when I am there to watch them test a section. Again beautiful work. Trailer

i'm sure you would of been amused in my shop last week. Just finished a system where you put carrots in one end and carrot sticks come out the other. Now im building a sprout trimming machine! :lol:
RagingRoman

Postby danielb210 » Tue May 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Very cool
danielb210
One Bad Altered!

Postby admin » Wed May 04, 2016 12:43 am

Hi Shaun:

I told you this was a friendly place! I see that some of the more civilized members ( :lol: ) have chimed in to make you feel welcome. I want to thank you for joining and tell you that the fun has just begun. Browse around and you'll see there is a wealth of information. When you get tired of that, let me know and we'll let you into the archives for another 20,000 posts... :mrgreen:

Oh and by the way. a 10 second Volkswagen isn't going to make ANYONE get bored! Beautiful car, beautiful work. Very impressive! We just may have some tips that will make that little bug dip into the 9's before your membership is up for renewal!
This space for rent.
admin
Conspiracy Theory

Postby RagingRoman » Wed May 04, 2016 4:09 am

admin wrote:Hi Shaun:

I told you this was a friendly place! I see that some of the more civilized members ( :lol: ) have chimed in to make you feel welcome. I want to thank you for joining and tell you that the fun has just begun. Browse around and you'll see there is a wealth of information. When you get tired of that, let me know and we'll let you into the archives for another 20,000 posts... :mrgreen:

Oh and by the way. a 10 second Volkswagen isn't going to make ANYONE get bored! Beautiful car, beautiful work. Very impressive! We just may have some tips that will make that little bug dip into the 9's before your membership is up for renewal!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Must admit i wasnt sure what to expect. Here in the UK I can wonder around the pits and try to speak to some of the teams running blown alky motors but you can see them lose interest as soon as they know its a bug and not an altered or FC. There are still some very cool people here to though so not all bad. I actually have a Nitro Hemi destined for a nostalgia funny car in my shop at the minute for some machining work. I'll post some pictures of that when its finished.
RagingRoman

Postby pdog » Wed May 04, 2016 9:27 am

RagingRoman wrote: I actually have a Nitro Hemi destined for a nostalgia funny car in my shop at the minute for some machining work. I'll post some pictures of that when its finished.

We like builds in progress, please post with pix 8-)

Yappy~
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

I ❤ FLATHEADS

I ❤ 4 BANGERS

WNC
pdog
The ORIGINAL Original Stone Age Man

Next
Forum Statistics