Active Duty Military Accounts are Free

Membership is $40.00 Per Year (USD) for Full Access

Please make sure that your payment is in USD or the proper conversion from your currency

Payments not made in this way will be returned.

Email me at if you have questions

ALL NEW USERS START HERE! Messages and information about the board- Guests do not see ALL the forums! Register and JOIN for full access to rock solid information.

Postby MeanGene » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:54 pm

New to the forum, used to play with the Hilborn stuff on 360 and 410 sprinters in the past, and have 3 systems to play with now-
#1, an Algon setup for a 427 Ford, going on a 427 Galaxie- a '62, original 406 car, 427 w/ C6, 4K converter and 5.14's to replace the 2x4 intake on it now. I have the manifold, Algon timing cover with the original Algon aircraft pump, and just came into the original adjustable injectors and needle-type control valve that was just removed from another Algon setup, so (for nostalgia/ show/ scaring old ladies) I could have the whole original setup. Also have with it an Enderle stack barrel with low-speed bypass, Hilborn main bypass, and a 150A pump for a "sensible" setup. Looking for a copy of the original setup/ tuning instructions- anyone have one that could be copied- for proper compensation of course?
#1, a setup believed to be Hilborn (no logos, and hasn't arrived from UPS yet), 2-1/2" for a 351C-4V, but separate flange/throttle bodies with a valley plate- perfect for my larger FE's, as I have an adapter plate to install 4V Cleveland intakes on the FE. This one also has a 150A pump with a Hilborn barrel and bypass, and methanol nozzles
#3, and had these over 30 yrs, a NOS set of Tecalemit Jackson injectors that bolt onto a 48mm Weber intake, sold thru Holman Moody back then- these came as a spare set with my buddy's original race GT40, #P1009, which had a hot 289 with the Jackson setup on it, and ran VERY well, and clean at all levels. This system has a small mechanical Gilmer-drive pump, an electric feed pump, and an external-ramp control valve, and was praised for it's tuneablity by Holman Moody, was a road race setup. I have the setup manual for this one, but one thing keeps me from putting it together- there are "right" and "left" individual throttle bodies to bolt to the Weber flanges, and unfortunately, I seem to have 5 of one and three of the other, instead of 4 and 4. Got an old buddy from Holman Moody Stroppe looking through their stuff for some spares
Thanks, Gents :D

Re: Newbie

Postby gilracing » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Welcome Gene,
You've come to the right place. There is a great group guys here. It sounds like you have plenty there to keep you busy for a while. A lot of set up, tuning and schematic info is available in other topic tabs. Like the moto says "read-learn-post" Your input is valued and desired.

Postby cad500justin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:56 pm

You've come to the right place!
Get the fuel injection manual from Jim, it's worth it.
I don't know where to find the Algon instructions but you might try al's son-in-law kevin. I found him on the HAMB some years back. I'll see if I can find his contact info.
The trick I heard is to drill a small hole in each zoomie and adjust each nozzle till the flame was even from cylinder to cylinder. Or better yet send it to someone that knows their stuff and have it flowed! I've been watching for Algon stuff on eBay for some time and haven't seen those instructions. Is that where you got your 427 injector?
Definitely check the old forum archives, lots of good info pertaining to your needs.
March Meet 2013 Champion Crew

Postby admin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:52 pm

If you choose the "Send it to someone who knows" to have your system setup. I STRONGLY recommend that you use Gene Adams. There are a lot of Johnny Come Lateley's out there who think they know a lot more than they do. Sure, they may have a big following, but the knowledge that Adams has in his little finger is 100X the knowledge that the "Engineering" guys have in their whole operation. If you're going to spend your money, you should get the best value for money spent.
This space for rent.
Conspiracy Theory

Postby Evans_Neumann » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 pm

Times ten on Gene Adams, he has always got us going in the right direction
“You can’t make a racehorse out of a pig, but if you work hard enough you can make it a pretty fast pig”.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"
Curmudgeon in Residence

Postby gilracing » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:30 am

I am anxiously awaiting a box to come in the mail from Gene. I sent my system out to him. Great to deal with. Fair on the price. And I know I'm dealing with an old school veteran.

Postby Dale Johnson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Welcome, I look forward to what you learn. I fell in love with the FE fords when I was 16, I still like them.
AKA "The Buttermilk Bomber"
Dale Johnson

Postby pdog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:30 pm

And my very first ever OHV engine was a Ford FE 390, I was looking for one for my T but the 6 banger entered the scene and it's just odd enough to really appeal to me :ugeek:

Odd Dog...
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

The ORIGINAL Original Stone Age Man

Forum Statistics