Active Duty Military Accounts are Free

Membership is $40.00 Per Year (USD) for Full Access

Please make sure that your payment is in USD or the proper conversion from your currency

Payments not made in this way will be returned.

Email me at if you have questions

ALL NEW USERS START HERE! Messages and information about the board- Guests do not see ALL the forums! Register and JOIN for full access to rock solid information.

New meber

Postby Mike Tavey » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:40 am

Hello every one!
My name is Mike Tavey. I'm new to the forum. I'm building a new combination for my promod car! It will be a 660ci twin 106mm turbos and mechanical fuel inj! The problem is that have talked to all the main fuel inj company's and all they want to do is sell you the big stuff 3. because they say mechanical inj will never work with a turbo! So they have told me that this would be the place to find what i want to know! So if their is some one that could shed some light on the subject that would be great! I guess i don't understand how the engine can tell the difference between a blower or a turbo! Boost is boost right?
Mike Tavey

Re: New meber

Postby Piranha » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:18 am

Welcome Mike!
We have several members that can help here!

Marc McCormick

Postby datasnoop » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Hello Mike,

I'm about to finally start my winter project, a little dragster. In the general discussion section, I stated just that and a gentleman from Australia chimed in with a couple of formulas that may help you. He is only going low 4s on his mechanically injected turbos though, so you might just put that off as being upsidedown.

Postby cad500justin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Welcome welcome! Search the current and the old archives and you will find a ton of info.
Did you order the manual yet? That is the place to start. Then you should to talk to ash. He's the guy with the killer tt-mfi-sbc altered.
March Meet 2013 Champion Crew

Postby gilracing » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Welcome, you've come to the right place. "ash to the front desk please" :lol:

Postby admin » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:24 pm

You'll get on track here. The 'brain trust' is very accommodating and willing to share the 'good stuff'
This space for rent.
Conspiracy Theory

Postby Uncle Paul » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:25 am

Mike where are you located?
Do you have any mechanical fuel injection experience?
Do you have any turbo experience?
Is there many turbo cars where you race and what combos are they running?
Uncle Paul

Postby Mike Tavey » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:28 am

Hi fellow mebers,
Thanks for all the welcome notes thats awsome! Nice to know that their is some help out their! This is the first forum that have ever been on so
You'll have to forgive me if im doing this the wrong way! If so please direct me in the right direction for help with my questions. I live in Salt Lake city UT! Im a heavy equipment mechanic for Rio Tinto! So i have been around alot of turbo stuff and ive did alot with electronic fuel inj for turbo street stuff! Ive got some expriexperience with mechanical inj im not a master by all means! The car is mechanical inj right now with a big nitrous oxide system! My problem with the turbos is that i have some friends that run a topfuel car and their telling me that mechanical inj will work very well with timers and solenoids with the progressive nitrous controller so i can set a good fuel curv! So im trying to find the best way to go! maybe some ida on jet size and if i should use hillborn setup with their P-valve! My buddie with the fuel car thinks it will be alot easier to tune the car. being mechanical with timers! because if not the boost will be handling the fuel curv! He seems to think that with the timers and solenoids that i would be able to feed the motor extra fuel at the staring line and pull a ton of timing out to spool the turbos up! if the track had spots that were not very good i could controle the fuel curv to get it down the track! The car is 105" wheel base and it has a four speed lenco with a three disc clutch! So if their any ideas some would have i would sure like to here them! No hi horspower turbo cars here they gentlemen that is going to build the tubos for me thinks it should make around 4000 hp with the right setup! the motor is 660ci it has realy good flowing 14 degr big chief heads!
Thanks guys

Mike Tavey

Postby Uncle Paul » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:34 am

I hope your a good swimmer because you are looking to jump into the lake feet first....

Ok joking aside the best guy in the states for mechanical fuel injection with a turbo would be Travis Quellen

My experience with mechanical fuel injection is limited to n/a and some blower stuff. My experience with turbos have been with Big Stuff 3, Fast XFI and High Performance Controls Pro Injection. If you decide to go the EFI route then I would suggest a Big Stuff 3 ECU box.

Either way it is going to mean need to be a hands on kind of guy that is willing to spend time and money to make it work. My suggestion is go to some ProMod races so you can see 1st hand what it takes before you decide. Besides being a huge motor with huge turbos a clutch car brings in added complexity to the mix so you will have a steep learing curve.

Ash will chime in as he is a mechanical fuel injection / turbo guy but I am a EFI guy as I think it is much smarter to adjust a fuel curve in seconds with a few strokes of the keyboard..

Grab some popcorn it is going to get good... :lol:
Uncle Paul

Postby pdog » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:19 am

Inga does great popcorn,,, vidy @ 8???

The Dog...
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

The ORIGINAL Original Stone Age Man

Forum Statistics