Active Duty Military Accounts are Free

Membership is $40.00 Per Year (USD) for Full Access

Please make sure that your payment is in USD or the proper conversion from your currency

Payments not made in this way will be returned.

Email me at jim@hre.com if you have questions

ALL NEW USERS START HERE! Messages and information about the board- Guests do not see ALL the forums! Register and JOIN for full access to rock solid information.

Returning member

Postby kurshuk » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:25 am

Introduction...

Tom Kurshuk returning to the forum. Hope to be able to spend more time here as I try an finish the car... It's a 65 Malibu that I have fabricated a new frame, currently has a 355 sbc with hilborn fuel injection that I converted to alcohol and bent up some hard lines (60's era manifold), 5 speed CS2 lenco, dual disc clutch, fab 9" with 5.57 rear gears 33" tall slicks. Hoping to reach mid to low 9's with this set-up, car should weigh about 2850 with me in it... it's an adventure, but learning a lot. I do all my own fabrication and engine work except of course the machining processes that can't be done at home like cylinder boring, balancing the rotating assembly, etc...

I have learned much about mechanical fuel injection in the past few years and the books/manuals that I have bought here have helped speed the learning curve immeasurably. As knowledge increases... so does the realization that there is so much more, never ending even! So, I'm back and I have questions that I am sure this forum can lead me to the solutions. Currently I'm trying to determine where my starting point for the hi speed bypass pressure should be set, the peak torque should be 5600 to 5900 rpm and max hp at 8000 to 8300. Knowing that the engines pumping efficiency drops off after peak torque do I start with the pressure that is expected at red line and drop from there until I reach max MPH through the traps? These are the things I hope to learn here, all the information and real word experience that are between the lines.

Whew... Got carried away a little there...

Thanks!
Tom
kurshuk

Re: Returning member

Postby admin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 am

Glad to have you back Tom. Do some research on the forums. There is a lot of new information since you were last here. IN the meantime, if you can, post some photos of your project. Eveyrone like to see whenm people are working on. Take things step by step and you'll have a great running ride in no time.
This space for rent.
admin
Conspiracy Theory

Postby cad500justin » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 am

Sounds like a sweet project! Glad you're back. Usually you get your fuel system flowed and the flow bench guru will get you close enough to start leaning on it.
cad500justin
March Meet 2013 Champion Crew

Postby admin » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:23 pm

Fuel Injection Guru (Only if you want the best in the business)

Gene Adams.

Tell him we sent you.

Another excellent choice would be our member Dave Koehler.
This space for rent.
admin
Conspiracy Theory

Postby kurshuk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Thanks for the recommendations!
kurshuk

Postby HardcoreAK » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:13 am

Welcome back, I'm sorta new around here, as a paid member, but lurked around the old forum as an unpaid member for a while. Really dig the classic malibu! That combination should work out pretty well! Nice to see a guy running a real transmission that you have to launch / drive / shift vs all the 'glides in the bracket world!
Cody McCollum
Owner / Operator
Hardcore Performance
Kenai, Alaska
HardcoreAK

Forum Statistics