Active Duty Military Accounts are Free

Membership is $40.00 Per Year (USD) for Full Access

Please make sure that your payment is in USD or the proper conversion from your currency

Payments not made in this way will be returned.

Email me at jim@hre.com if you have questions

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. So we know that Racing isn't a "HOBBY" with anyone here. So in your "off time" what do you do to unwind? Fish, Ride Motorcycles, Bowling, Paint? Let's hear about your favorite thing to do when you don't have to do anything else.

New project.

Postby danielb210 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:28 am

I didn't think there was a more appropriate area so here it goes. I love to do things myself, so it's time to do something I've never done and build my own body, buck, mold and all. I've always liked the old Mob "world's fastest pick-up" so I decided to scale it based on old photos and modeled it up with a little of my own flair. I then created section cuts and converted them to 2D so I ca. Have them water jetted out of plywood and will go from there. Here is your preview of the project at hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danielb210
One Bad Altered!

Re: New project.

Postby admin » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:11 pm

Very nice! Yes, this is the right place for this kind of post. It shows what can be done with a good idea and some tools. Don't forget the value of plaster of Paris! Let's see some more as you progress. What Cad program are you using?
This space for rent.
admin
Conspiracy Theory

Postby danielb210 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:18 pm

admin wrote:Very nice! Yes, this is the right place for this kind of post. It shows what can be done with a good idea and some tools. Don't forget the value of plaster of Paris! Let's see some more as you progress. What Cad program are you using?

So it was originally done in V6 while I was learning the new software. I converted it to a step file and finished it in a free version of autocad 360 I have on my lap top and cell phone believe it or not. I will use a base layer of glass and back it up with plaster and hemp. I do a lot with plain weave carbon at work which has sparked my interest in doing a little at home for fun. I am planning on doing the first ply of the body with carbon/kevlar twill and backing that up with a ply or two of glass matt. I want to leave the body clear and will probably finish it with spar varnish.
http://fiberglasssupplydepot.com/Kevlar ... ttern.html
danielb210
One Bad Altered!

Postby pdog » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:44 pm

danielb210 wrote:I will use a base layer of glass and back it up with plaster and hemp.

Smoke the hemp and you'll never see the light of day because Mr. Admin Sir will have you THAT far back in "The Corner" :o

Dog….
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

I ❤ FLATHEADS

I ❤ 4 BANGERS

WNC
pdog
The ORIGINAL Original Stone Age Man

Postby danielb210 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:32 pm

So far as I know, smoking hemp is about as beneficial in that arena as smoking maple leaves... And it's legal in all 50 states. I will take that into advisement. :ugeek:
danielb210
One Bad Altered!

Postby admin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:00 am

P Dog lives in Colorado where it's legal. I think He's opening a smokatorium of his own. :lol: (We'll all be laughing out the other side of our heads when he buys that G6.)
This space for rent.
admin
Conspiracy Theory

Postby cad500justin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:18 am

Spar varnish? on carbon fiber? Please enlighten me if you have an industry use that I am unaware of. We finish doors at our shop, both wood and fiberglass, and we got away from spar years ago. The new water based finishes are great for our purposes but I would think that a catalyzed automotive clear would be the norm, both from a longevity and luster standpoint. Even a cheap one like Nason.
If you really want to use a water based varnish, the warranty/durability on the new finishes far exceeds the old varnishes I'm used to.
Dupont makes a water based industrial Imron, it comes in full gloss and flat, buy a gallon of each ($!00?) and mix according to the sheen you are looking for.
Otherwise our go-to is "General Finishes" 450 clear. Made in wisconsin.
cad500justin
March Meet 2013 Champion Crew

Postby danielb210 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Because it lays nice on carbon, very glossy, it's dirt cheep and you don't have to spray it. Also as often as you need to touch up race cars from normal rash it's quick and easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danielb210
One Bad Altered!

Postby danielb210 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:16 pm

That and I suck a spraying clear.
danielb210
One Bad Altered!

Postby GregM784 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:38 pm

Whats carbon fiber?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg Means
Garden Valley, CA
Budget Bender Racing
http://www.MeansRacing.com
GregM784
Burnin' down the house

Next
Forum Statistics